Healthy Exfoliation is important for our skin to remain healthy and remove impurities. The top layer of our skin can look dull and lifeless if we do not ensure that the top layer is removed regularly. Your skin should do this naturally, but when skin cells are not operating optimally, we need to give it some help!
Exfoliation treatments should be gentle and progressive and the ingredients that you use should suit your skin type. Exfoliating at home to supports a good skin regime, or you can visit a skin professional for a slightly deeper exfoliation that is controlled well and therefore prevents damage to the skin barrier function and leaves your skin feeling refreshed. To find out more about how we can help you at Crysallis Skin Clinic click here.
When you are treating yourself at home it’s best not to buy too many products with different acids or the same acids. The cumulative effect can be very damaging to the skin barrier.
When you buy retail brands they are often not encapsulated well and can be too rough or irritating to the skin so once again it’s best to speak to a skin professional for advice.
At Crysallis Skin we recommend using products at home that contain the following:
- A well encapsulated glycolic or salicylic acid cleanser can be good enough to use daily.
- For those with slightly oilier or a more acne-prone skin type, you may want to add in a well encapsulated serum that has AHA acids in it that will promote exfoliation daily, and can be used on alternate nights/days. If it is is a little irritating to your skin – please check your products recommendations for when it should be used in your regime.
- For those blackheads and little annoying spots, a scrub with particles in it can be used 2 – 3 times a week (depending on your skin tolerance) again it may contain glycolic and salicylic acid it or fruit enzymes/citric acids. Please check that the particles are ethical and bio-degradable.
- Manual buffing of the skin should be done with caution as you can spread infection, especially if you are prone to acne.
- Powder forms of exfoliants are also available and can be beneficial for sensitive skin depending on the product.
- For those of you with sensitive skin, we recommend a patch test is done to ensure your skin does not react, but you should also decide whether with sensitive skin you really need to exfoliate. It may be better to get your skin barrier functioning well and then move on to very mild exfoliants.
- Exfoliate less in the summer and ensure you use a good mineral based SPF of 30+ or above.
Below are some of the exfoliating products we stock at Crysallis Skin:
Crysallis POLISHED PERFECTION Exfoliating Scrub is a luxury anti-ageing wash to exfoliate and help improve your complexion. Containing glycolic acid and quartz to stimulate, condition and polish skin to perfection.
Crysallis CLEAR SKIN KIT reveals your skin’s true health using our custom designed PURITY Face Wash. It contains the natural clinically proven AHAs, glycolic and citric acid to gently remove the build-up of dead skin cells together with salicylic acid to remove impurities and excess oil.
Mesoestetic Pure Renew Mask is an intensive purifying mask. It exfoliates and cleans the pore to prevent and reduce imperfections.
Mesoestetic Ultimate Home peel is a micro-exfoliating treatment that exerts a smooth renewing action on the skin surface to remove dead cells, refine texture, smooth out imperfections and enhance face radiance immediately.