With age and through a variety of factors such as diet, lifestyle and sun exposure, our skin starts to look dry, thinner and saggier. Fine lines and wrinkles appear and sunspots and melasma (pigmentation) can increase. Our skin actively changes as we mature; the outer layer of our skin (epidermis) becomes thinner, even though the number of cell layers remain unchanged, and the number of pigment-containing cells decreases. Therefore we get thinner, paler and more translucent skin as we age. Although the largest organ of our bodies, the skin is the last organ to receive nutrients. So it is important to use anti-ageing skincare products and treatments to suit our changing skin.
Although it might feel like it, ageing is not something that happens suddenly. Instead, it is a combination of gradual changes that individually, can be easy to ignore. As we age, we may find our ‘go to’ skincare treatments and products are less effective, so it is important to find what works best for our skin.
What Speeds Up The Ageing Process Of Our Skin?
1. The number one thing that causes early wrinkling is skin damage caused by the UV rays of sunlight. UV rays from the sun break down the skin’s connective tissue, the collagen and elastin fibres, which lie in the deeper layer of the skin. As with other skin processes as we age, sun damage is not something that appears suddenly but is something we need to be proactive about looking after. Using a highly effective, lightweight sunscreen such as Crysallis PROTECT SPF50, protects the skin against harmful UV rays. This light and easily absorbed cream is water-resistant and contains clinically proven AHA’s, citric and lactic acid to gently increase cell turnover. It is important to use SPF cream throughout the year (yes, even on those really dreary, grey days), especially if you are sensitive to the sun or are fair-skinned.
2. It is important to look at the food we are putting into our bodies, as processed food, filled with sugars and salt, and food that lacks nutritional value can dehydrate our skin, making wrinkles appear more pronounced.
3. Smoking harms the skin as quickly as harmful UV rays. Nicotine breaks down the Vitamin A in your skin. Vitamin A is needed for the repair of damaged skin tissue. If you have been thinking about quitting, then now is the time to take on the challenge. The same can also be said if you are around people who smoke as your skin can still be greatly affected and the ageing process sped up.
4. Sleep is vital for our growth and development, as well as our mental wellbeing. Lack of sleep can impact our skin’s ability to regenerate collagen and elastin and there is an imbalance in hormone production. When we sleep, growth hormones are released.
5. Not having an effective anti-ageing skincare routine at home can speed up the ageing process of our skin. Here at Crysallis, we have our own product range to support your at home routine. We stock a combination of products such as Mesoestetic and AlumierMD, all science backed skincare ranges with clinically proven effectiveness. All these brands are available via our online shop. Using the correct products consistently is the key to better anti-ageing skincare.
What Can I Do At Home To Slow Down The Process?
Looking after your diet, amount of sleep, protecting your skin from sun damage and using effective anti-ageing skincare products will help counterbalance the natural effects of ageing on our skin.
You can achieve the skin you deserve as you age by booking a skincare consultation in our Reading treatment centre. We will use this time to get to know you and your skin. This will allow us to provide you with an anti-ageing skincare routine and suggested treatments to best suit you.
How Can Crysallis Skin Clinic In Reading Help Me Address My Ageing Skin Concerns?
How can Crysallis Skin Care in Reading help me address my ageing skin concerns?
We believe the skin ageing process is inevitable but not irreversible. We offer a range of anti-ageing skincare and wrinkle treatments at our skin clinic in Reading. Our bodies are ageing all the time, but with the right preventative measures and targeted solutions, it is possible to look and feel younger than we are! Most importantly, our treatments at Crysallis can be effective at any age however, the earlier you start, the better the outcome.
When it comes to ageing, there are a wealth of signs and symptoms you may be looking to treat. Here is a guide to our anti-ageing skincare treatments in Reading.
Lines and Wrinkles
We offer many wrinkle treatments to combat this concern. Skin peels are available to exfoliate several layers of skin for a refreshed appearance and microneedling and mesotherapy have smoothing benefits. iPRF is also a great tool in our kit to help combat this skin concern. Our state of the art Byonik treatment will make skin appear more hydrated with fewer fine lines and wrinkles.
Reduce sunspots and Melasma through skin peels such as Cosmelan. Both microneedling and mesotherapy can be effective approaches to pigmentation treatment as well.